A MAN has admitted he tried to kill two schoolgirls with the car he was driving so police would stop pursuing him after a violent rampage through western Sydney, a court was told.Charlie McGee, 24, has been charged with four counts of attempted murder and 23 other offences after a series of crimes across five suburbs and eight locations over an hour on Wednesday afternoon. Ten people were assaulted or threatened, police said.The attack began with the alleged bashing of a man with a hammer at Lalor Park at 2pm and ended after the pursuit in Doonside in which Mr McGee allegedly ran into the two girls aged 14 and seven.Police documents tendered to Blacktown Local Court yesterday said he admitted he did so deliberately, aiming to kill the girls so the chase would be called off.The pursuit continued and Mr Gee was arrested a short time later. The girls suffered only minor injuries.While reluctant to discuss pursuit policy yesterday, Superintendent Mark Wright, from Blacktown police said the decision to continue the chase was in the community’s best interest.”We have to ask if police didn’t intervene at that point, bearing in mind the history and circumstances leading up to it, who is to say this individual was not going to drive through that school zone and target individuals?” Superintendent Wright said.”That posed a greater risk and that’s the balance that police have to decide at a split second.”The Minister for Police, Michael Daley, said pursuits were necessary to send a message ”that criminals will not evade arrest by putting the foot on the accelerator pedal”.The Greens MP Sylvia Hale said the harsher penalties now available under a recently introduced law encouraged people to try harder to evade police. ”It was more good luck than good management that no one was killed,” she said.Police allege Mr McGee had admitted that if he had been armed with a gun ”he would have killed multiple persons during his rampage”.Mr McGee is also accused of stealing a ute and trying to violently take four other vehicles.He is also alleged to have pulled over and asked a 65-year-old man to look under the ute for any damage. When he bent over, Mr McGee allegedly hit him with the ute. He suffered minor injuries.The ute was dumped at the McDonald’s restaurant in Woodcroft, where Mr McGee allegedly stole a Toyota Paseo from a TAFE student, Jonxha Fejzullahu.”I was afraid for my life …” Ms Fejzullahu said. ”It could have been a lot worse. I could have died … I’m very lucky.”A psychiatrist told the court Mr McGee had shown ”psychotic symptoms” and was a risk to himself and others. Mr McGee did not apply for bail and is due in court again on August 13.
南京夜网